Have you always dreamed of becoming a radio presenter ?
Do you have a great idea for a program ?
We can help you and train you.
But first, here are a few things to consider:
Commitment: programs are weekly programmes and you will need to commit to 26 weeks initially. Of course we cannot expect you to be available all the time, so think about having a co-presenter (we encourage teams of presenters); you may also wish to include a producer who will help you with your research and panelling;
Preparation: presenting a program takes preparation. If your program is a 1 hour program, expect to spend at least 2 hours preparing it;
Multi-tasking: our presenters do it all by themselves: research, preparation, presentation, panelling… so you need to be a little technically aware – or ready to learn; and be comfortable in the use of a computer;
Membership: you will need to become a member of Cairns FM89.1 as an On Air Presenter
To do this role, you will need to:
- have excellent presentation and performance skills
- be able to generate original ideas, and to think creatively about how to communicate them to audiences
- understand how to use your voice effectively for radio
- be able to learn how to use a variety of recording equipment and to operate different radio studios
- be able to present while operating studio controls and co-ordinating a range of simultaneous technical activities
- be able to communicate knowledgeably and engagingly with audiences
- have excellent communication skills and be able to draw information from people
- be able to work calmly effectively under pressure, react quickly, and meet tight deadlines
- have knowledge of the law, ethics and industry regulations around radio production
- understand the requirements of the relevant health and safety legislation and procedures
- have strong IT skills, including word processing, data handling and audio editing
- have knowledge of the radio market, different station and programme styles, and audience demographics
- Be open to new ideas
Still interested ? Follow these steps:
1) Prepare a short description of your proposed program: content, type of music, duration (1 or 2 hours), number of presenters, title;
2) Contact our Station Manager on: Tel: (07) 4053 6891 or Email: email@example.com
3) We will contact you for a chat and a studio test. If your application is successful, you will need to partake in our 8 weeks training programme (part time).
Our training covers:
- Introduction to community radio and station work health and safety
- broadcast law and codes of practice
- planning and preparing a program
- panel operation
- editing & mixing
You will have the opportunity to sit in with other presenters before going on air
Cost: A fee of $99 (incl GST) will apply as of 1st July 2018 to cover the materials costs.
For further information, contact us on 07 4053 6891 or email us on : firstname.lastname@example.org